Remedica Amoxapen Capsules 500mg (1000 Capsules/Box)
- Mfg. Code:RMDGD002
- Expiry: >= 1 year
Estimated Shipping by 4 working days
- Mfg. Code:RMDGD002
- Packaging Details
Capsules 250mg. and 500mg.Granules 100ml.
Amoxicillin, the active ingredient of Amoxapen® is a broad spectrum antibiotic with bactericidal action against a wide range of organisms. Amoxicillin is more rapidly and more completely absorbed than Ampicillin when given by mouth and is reported to produce peak antibiotic plasma concentration at least twice those from a similar dose of Ampicillin. The presence of food in the stomach does not appear to diminish the total amount absorbed. About 20% is bound to plasma proteins in the circulation and plasma half-lives of 1 to 1.5 hours have been reported. The half-life may be longer in neonates, elderly patients and in patients with renal failure.
Amoxapen® is indicated for the treatment of respiratory tract infections, otitis media, skin and soft tissue infections, eradication of H. pylori, urinary tract infections (including bacteriuria of pregnancy), puerperal sepsis and septic abortion, gonorrhoea, intra-abdominal sepsis, and for the prophylaxis of endocarditis after dental and other surgical procedures.
- Adults: 250 mg three times daily, increasing to 500mg three times daily for more severe infections.
- Renal Impairment: dosage adjustments are required in patients with severe renal impairment (creatine clearance <30 ml/min).
- Children: 125mg three times daily, increasing to 250mg three times daily for more severe infections. Amoxapen® Oral Suspension is recommended for children under six months of age.
Side-effects, as with other penicillin are uncommon and mainly of a mild and transitory nature. There have been reported hypersensitivity reactions, interstitial, gastrointestinal disturbances, hepatic changes, haematological and CNS effects. For more information please see the summary of product characteristics.
- Caution should be exercised in administrating this antibiotic to patients with impaired renal function. Prolonged or repeated used of amoxicillin may result in an overgrowth of non-susceptible bacteria or fungi.
- Serious and occasionally fatal hypersensitivity reactions have been reported in patients on penicillin therapy. At high doses relative to urinary output, adequate fluid intake and urinary output must be maintained to minimize the possibility of crystalluria.
- Drug interaction: there have been reported interactions with oral contraceptives and probenecid. Allopurinol can increase the likelihood of allergic skin reactions on concomitant administration. Prolongation of prothrombin time has been reported rarely.